Sunday, March 08, 2009

I Got Nothin....

I was wondering all day about what I was going to post here tonight, but I seriously got nothin' for you. My life has been dull, dull, dull.

Basically, the same old, same old:

• Work is kicking my butt. I can't wait until April 20th, when this huge project of mine will be OVAH. Reminding myself every day that a lot of people would be happy to have a job right now, so stop complaining.

• Got in four decent runs. Slowing down the pace a bit for my ankle.

• Ankle/foot still bothering me.

• Bought a new pair of running shorts/tights from Target this week. I love them! They may be a bit too warm in July, but for the next few months, they are perfect. I even got to bust them out on THREE runs this weekend.

• J is still kicking butt and taking names. I am so excited for him about this marathon.

• The weather here is wacky. Monday was 8" of snow and a low of 5 degrees. Now, the past three days we have seen the highs from the upper 60's-low 70's. Beautiful and weird, all at the same time.

Here is what it looked like as I walked to the train on Monday.

Photobucket


Here are people frolicking in the spring-like temperatures in Rittenhouse Square yesterday as we wandered the city. They are literally dancing!

Photobucket


I am having a bit of trouble adjusting to running in the warmer temps. While it was nice this weekend to not to run in two pairs of tights, 3-4 long sleeved shirts, a skull cap and gloves, it was still a bit of a shock.

On Wednesday, when it was still cooler, I ran a speedier 6.5 with almost no effort (57:49/8:53 pace). Then on Friday, I went out in 68 degree weather and thought I was going to die. I actually cut my run short to a little over 4 and made up for it the rest of the weekend. All runs this weekend were in the 9:15-9:20 pace range. And felt much more difficult.

I have turned into such a wimp. Two years ago, I was training for my first marathon in Miami from June to October. I was running my 20 milers in record setting high temperatures. Had I known I would be complaining about 66 degrees being too warm, I would have kicked my ass. What can I say? I love running in the cold.

Not the wind, but the cold. :)

Anyway, that's all I got. I hope you homies had a more exciting week than we did around here.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Monday, 3/2 -off
Tuesday, 3/3 - off
Wednesday, 3/4 - 6.5 miles/57:49 - 8:53 pace
Thursday, 3/5 - off
Friday, 3/6 - 4.28 miles/39:58 - 9:20 pace
Saturday, 3/7 - 10.18 miles/1:35:21 - 9:21 pace
Sunday, 3/8 - 7 miles/1:04:46 - 9:15 pace

Total Weekly Mileage: 27.96 miles

35 comments:

Unknown said...

I like running in cool temps too - I say cool, not cold. It's just more comfortable. I don't know how I'm going to survive the summer!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to spring in the Mid Atlantic! LOL It's always like this. And I always have a heck of a time figuring out my running clothes and acclimating to the warmer weather for running.

Glad training is going well for J.

What shorts did you get? I'm in need of some new stuff this spring.

teacherwoman said...

Take care of that ankle/foot!

Christie said...

The weather was beautiful, but it can be a bit uncomfortable when you have to run in it. It's hard to adjust when you have a blizzard one day and springlike temps the next day. But I'm loving it.

Christie said...

P.S. I'm diggin' the pics. The lil critters are adorable.

Heather said...

Looks like the weather was beautiful this weekend! I have trouble adjusting to the warmer temps too . . . I get so excited for winter to be over and then I don't know what I'm doing when it's warm.

Unknown said...

I would love to have that weather. We had ice today. I'm sure your body will get used to the temps.

chia said...

AWWW I love fur-babies!

I hear ya on the adjusting to temps. I really hate running in cold weather though. Just moved from MI to TX last month and it's still a struggle to get used to the new pollen and the 80 degree temps. It's brilliant though :-).

Happy training though speed demon!

Rookie on the Run said...

Crazy weather! I love that picture of your kitty under the blanket.

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

love al the pics!!! I am going to be in Philly on April 23rd-27th we should meet up!!!

Progman2000 said...

Your "nothing interesting" posts still smoke the most thought provoking stuff I can come up with. Glad to see you hitting Target - I swear my favorite running gear all comes from there!

Irish Blue said...

Hope your ankle is feeling better soon. Stretch, stretch, stretch - that from someone who never did and is paying the price ;-)

I'm with you on the heat. The temp definitely has an adverse impact on my pace.

Denise said...

Is that your black kitty??

I ended up going to the gym late yesterday afternoon. Ran, bike, elliptical, ran...for some reason, I didn't have it in me to run outside. I'm so sore from working at the house all wknd that I actually took today off from the gym.

My Life said...

I HATE my piddley job & keep telling myself the same thing... just be grateful you have a job, be grateful. Ugh.

Bummed to hear about your ankle - no doc visit?

Unknown said...

I know the weather has been a roller coaster. I just feel that the warmer temperature has flared up my sinus in some way.

The pictures of the critters are so adorable !!!

I can't wait for winter to be officially OVAH !!!

Marlene said...

I don't cope well with the heat, so I feel for you! (Although, I'm a little jealous of the gorgeous weather you're having already!)

Nice mileage!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your ankle/foot is still bothering you. The weather has been crazy. It is hard to adjust to the conditions when it is going from 30's to 70's, snow to sun.

Glad to hear Jeremy is rocking the training.

X-Country2 said...

I've found that 50 and sunny is my running sweet spot too. Anything warmer or colder, and I feel off.

Run Mommy said...

I can't wait for the warm weather here! Rest up the foot and enjoy the little four legged gems - such cuties!

N.D. said...

hey when you get used to the cold weather, it is hard to go back. I thought it was a bit warm especially on Saturday with running! You did great this week! love the pic at rittenhouse square. Do you take baby pics? Or know anyone? I want some good professional pics of the little guy.

Aron said...

great job on the week!!!! It was 55 when I started my run on Sat and it got much warmer as it went on esp in the sun... I was sooo hot! 45-50 and cloudy are my perfect temps :) bring that sun out and I roast. I better get used to it once the summer months start rolling around cause it gets HOT!

Runner Leana said...

Sorry to hear that your ankle/foot is still bugging you. Sounds like you made the right decision to drop to the half then. It is supposed to warm up here this week...and after -13F this morning I cannot wait for the forecasted 55F to roll around! That might be enough to make me want to dance in the streets here too!

BeachRunner said...

I know that feeling. Hang in there Laurel. Sometimes just taking a break (from running or whatever) can help refresh your body and spirit. Good luck with work.

Sonia said...

love the gratious pic of Zero! We missed seeing her =)

I am bummed that your foot/ankle is also giving your problems..... you going to have it checked out? Not that it helped much for me... going on 17 months of pain and unknowns as the source of the issue... this is so frustrating!!!!!

Still that 5 miler kicked ass Chicka!!

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

will be running the Boston Marathon, and then taking a little road trip all through the east coast:)

Unknown said...

great runs this week. been some crazy weather here too. but weekend was great for running all around. Hope the ankle gets beteer quickly

I Run for Fun said...

Take care of that foot.

Ahh...I love Philly city.

joyRuN said...

I miss Rittenhouse Square. I used to cut across there all the time walking home from work.

I know what you mean about the "heat". I think the change was just too sudden for us. Our bodies need to ease into the warmth :)

Felice Devine said...

Hi. I just found your blog. I love your RB quote on your header!

Hope your foot/ankle heals up soon.

SuperDave said...

I had difficulty too with my long run this past Saturday with temps of 70 deg. It's just getting to get used to it.

Bert said...

Nothing sounds pretty interesting... And I loved the pics of the animals.

Christine said...

Dang girl! You got lots of miles in...def not boring to me! I wish I had people to run with..those long runs can be so boring.

Lily on the Road said...

Sorry to hear about your ankle and foot, darn!

I hear you about the temps...the other day it was soooo cold I bailed at 6K. This weekend is suppose to be much warmer and sunny! Good job, I've got 26K to run Sunday.

Neese said...

oh that snow pic is just crazy cold looking brrrr

Dori said...

I don't know, I'm looking forward to running in shorts and tank. The picture of the people in the square reminded me of Mpls. After a frigid winter, 50s would bring out shorts and sandals. Nice job getting in the miles. Good luck to J. on his race.

 
design by suckmylolly.com