Monday, February 09, 2009

Frosty 7 Miler

Ran a strong 6.5 (57:17/8:48 pace) tonight when I got home from work. All the snow and ice had melted and it made for a relaxing run without having to worry about slipping or twisting an ankle.

As promised, here are the pictures from my snowy 7 mile run last Friday. Looking at these, it's crazy to think it's going to be 65 degrees on Wednesday.

I have a quit a few more but I will show some restraint. And honestly, the pictures don't do it justice. It was the perfect day. The perfect amount of snow, the perfect temperature and the perfect daylight.


Here I am walking across the frozen river to get to the tow path.
Photobucket

The tow path runs through the woods along the Manayunk Canal and the Schuylkill River.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Hello...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can see why I can't run this route after work in the dark. It's pretty secluded in the woods, with big scary deserted buildings.
Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the cobblestone drive I have to run up between the wooded towpath and the bike path. It's no fun when it's covered in ice. This day wasn't too bad.
Photobucket

The R6 train line.
Photobucket

Almost at the bike path.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's getting deeper.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This first pole is my 3.5 mile turnaround point.
Photobucket

I'm very serious out here. No fun allowed!
Photobucket

Danger!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Back on the towpath.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Aahhh, the red bridge that I took the first picture from. No matter which direction I run, it's always my endpoint. Always a welcome sight.
Photobucket


I hope everyone is out enjoying the spring-like temperatures this week!

24 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Great pictures. Looks like a wonderful run! I am liking the spring like temperatures, but it's bringing freezing rain and very icy roads here over nice. yuck.

Abby said...

Love the photo essay!

And I'm glad you know which pole is the turnaround - with all that snow, there's no way to see the mile markers on the ground!

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. Ya, this route would freak me out if it was dark out! I am so happy to have some warmer weather around.

ShoreTurtle said...

I love the photos! It looks like a great route to run.

Denise said...

That building always creeps me out!! Great photos, it's nice to have someone take pictures of where I run for me!! :-)

Did you decide if you're running the Frostbite 5 miler on the 21st?

Unknown said...

looks so pretty and peaceful!

Progman2000 said...

You guys and your cameras, I am so jeolous. I LOVE the big old deserted buildings - I live for running in freaky places. One of my favorite routes goes through a cemetary and past a masoleum. Give me a Stephen King audiobook in the darkness of 5:30am and I am loving life.

Jess said...

Great pics, but I can see why you wouldn't run there after dark! Spooky.

Fit Mommy said...

Looks like an adventure!

Marlene said...

That is some seriously pleasant scenery. Looks like a great place to run... in daylight. :)

Unknown said...

AWESOME !!! This is so awesome. It looks like you had the whole place to yourself in a city of 10 million people around. It was wise of you to run in the daylight. I just have a hunch that Jason is somewhere in that abandoned building. Maybe I watched too many Friday the 13th movies!

Unknown said...

Amazing pictures. I'm so jealous that I was not able to run that route. All I see and sadly smell is cattle in the fields when I run out of town.

X-Country2 said...

I love photos of where people run. Those are some great ones. (And I think we have the same shoes too!)

Hopefully the weather warms up and the ice melts very very soon.

Marcy said...

LOL I'm glad you said this "You can see why I can't run this route after work in the dark." because my first thought was OMG I hope she doesn't run in there when it's dark out!

Great pics chica ;D ;D

BeachRunner said...

Such great pics, L-Train. I never get tired of your images, especially of this route. It looks like such an AWESOME place to run.

Now I think I prefer the idea of a RUNNING tour of Philly. You, me and my wife can run the tow path, while J stays home and watches our kids. That's fair, right?

Heather said...

Looks like a nice route. Lucky you with the 65 degree weather - I'm jealous!

Aron said...

ohhh i love these pics!! SUCH a pretty route! especially with all that snow :)

maria khoury said...

i hope your snow is thawing out a bit! everything has melted here in chicago.

i just started my own little running blog, and mentioned you in my first post. check it out - http://runrockroll.blogspot.com/

its simple now, but just wait, its gonna grow up into something big.

Run Mommy said...

I love posts with lots of pictures! Made me feel like I was running with you :)

Unknown said...

great photos. You run awfully fast to stop and take pix and still have a great time.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Much more interesting than where I run.

Dori said...

Great pictures, Laurel! It looks so familiar, it could be Minnesota in the winter. Running on ice alwyas made me nervous. I never got any, but AmyBee wore ice grippers over her running shoes and she liked them.

Ali said...

these pic make me want to run outside in the winter.

N.D. said...

what great pics! you make running look so fun and enjoyable.

 
design by suckmylolly.com