Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hot Fun in the Summertime.

We finally made ourselves get a fuel belt last weekend.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I think Zero enjoys wearing it more than I do (And she really didn't like wearing it).

We tried it out on one of our shorter 5.6 mile runs on Monday morning and what can I say? I just hate running with anything attached to my body. I was awful. I didn't even make it one mile before I handed it off to J so he could wear it the rest of the run. Maybe it was the weather (almost 90% humidity at 6am with NO BREEZE), or the fact that I did lunges for the first time in 3 years the day before and could barely walk (idiot). Whatever it was, I just was not feeling it. Luckily J has given in to his inner "I don't wanna look like a dork" mentality and has decided to take one for the team and wear it for our long runs so that he and his wife can stay hydrated in the sweltering Miami summer. I have a good man.

Not much else to report on. The weather is only getting worse. We usually begin our runs in the mornings to escape the actual heat from the sun, but humidity levels are at their highest then (80-90% average) and the temps are still in the 70-80 degree range. Then, I do one evening run a week with Mercy through her neighborhood at around 7:30pm. The humidity is a bit lower, but the gnat problem is out of control. When we were done running Thursday night I went to her bathroom to wash my face and my neck was COMPLETELY covered in dead gnats. I was pulling them out of my hair and ears all night (even after I showered) and later, I kept getting shivers just thinking about how many were actually on me. I also kept psyching myself out thinking they were lodged in the back of my throat. Uggh!!! I can't win.

Here's my training this week.

Sunday, 6/24 - Gym, abs, lift, lunges :( elliptical, 40 minutes
Monday, 6/25 - 5.6 miles/53:54 - 9:37 pace
Tuesday, 6/26 - rest
Wednesday, 6/27 - 3.2 miles/29:42 - 9:13 pace
Thursday, 6/28 - 6.5 miles/1:08 - 10:31 pace
Friday, 6/29 - rest
Saturday, 6/30 - 12 miles/1:57:38 - 9:48 pace (Long, hot, but way better than last week)
Total Weekly Mileage: 27.3
Lift Days: 1


Here are some pics from after the 12 miler this morning. My fingers were so swollen they looked like lil' sausages.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My shorts are soaked here. I had just wrung them out.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Sonia said...

Your dog is soooooooooooooo cute!!! =)

I don't mind the fuel belt too bad... I've been using this handheld bottle at the moment and its quite nice too, I find it less bothering. I like to put ice instead of just water, its refreshing!

Great job on keeping up the mileage!

Happy Running Laurel

Marcy said...

I don't know how you all run down there. That's some CRAZY heat and humidity.

Awwhhhh that's so sweet of DH to take on the fuel belt. Mine does not run but never fails to laugh hysterically at me when I strap on the belt and go out for a long run *sigh* LOL

Anonymous said...

Amen on the heat - what is it good for except flowers, gardens and swimming! Good for you for keeping running!

Jolene said...

I LOVE my Fuel Belt, even if I do look like a suicide bomber whenever I wear it. I'm on my third belt!

 
design by suckmylolly.com